Head of Work, Health and Safety
A best in class HR Professional is sought!
About our client
Settlement Services International (SSI) is a community organisation and social business that supports newcomers and other Australians to achieve their full potential. They work with all people who have experienced vulnerability, including refugees, people seeking asylum and culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities, to build capacity and enable them to overcome inequality. SSI is a member of the Australian Network on Disability (AND) which seeks to advance the inclusion of people with disability in all aspects of business.
About the People and Culture team
To ensure that the People and Culture (PAC) team can support and provide the operating model to create a sustainable future for SSI's business, clients and their people, the General Manager PAC has reorganised the function aligning with the strategic visioning and foresight for SSI. At the forefront of this HR transformation is a high impact operating model that leverages communities of expertise across the suite of talent and organizational capability; culture, inclusion and wellbeing; work health and safety; rewards and recognition; and delivers through strategic business partnering and talent acquisition, and drives operational excellence through technology solutions and service delivery platforms. This transformation will shape and enable the strategic direction of the business, enhance continuous operating efficiency, build strong leaders across the organisation and foster a culturally diverse and inclusive environment creating SSI as an even greater place to work, learn and grow.
One of the exciting opportunities to join this team to deliver quality advice and outcomes is the Head of Work, Health and Safety.
About the opportunity
As Head of Work Health and Safety, you will lead a team to develop and implement Work Health and Safety (WHS) policies and practices across SSI and related companies and monitor and evaluate their effectiveness as necessary.
You will work closely with business leaders and employees to create an environment where people are inspired to generate ideas and solutions and create a culture of safety and ownership and will have a pragmatic approach to safety and risk taking into account all factors including business drivers.
About your experience
To be considered for this role you will:
- Have relevant tertiary qualifications or experience in Workplace Health & Safety, knowledge and experience of WHS Acts and regulations, Codes of Practices, Workers Compensation and Australian Standards and International Standards;
- Have at least 7-10 years safety experience gained in large complex organisations;
- Proven background developing and implementing a WHS strategy; have expertise in successfully gaining accreditation for International standards;
- Superior experience leading organisation-wide strategic initiatives creating mindset shift;
- Be a strong motivational and influential leader; with a "hands-on” focus;
- Experience in developing and delivering WHS policies, procedures, building and maintaining engagement of committees and communities of practise.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written), with ability to simplify complex policies aligned to government contractual services agreements
- Proven ability to design pandemic related safety protocols for SSI team members, volunteers, their clients and external stakeholders
- Strong ability in systems, metrics and reporting to proactively identify trends, recommend strategies to minimize injury;
- Proven capability to understand key business drivers; proactive risk mitigation strategies, and able to add value at all levels of an organisation; and
- Prior experience working in the NFP sector would be advantageous.